Queensland’s waste levy – your opportunity
Queensland’s waste levy will start on 1 July 2019, applying to all general waste streams and regulated wastes originating from, or disposed to landfills within, a levied zone.
Read more about the waste levy here.
In partnership with leading waste transporters, NuGrow offers opportunities to:
- Encourage diversion of organics from general waste bins to dedicated organics bins
- Support industry in their waste diversion strategies
Councils have an exciting opportunity to introduce or expand Food Organics Garden Organics (FOGO) collection and increase general organics waste collection to:
- Enable savings under the waste levy
- Create a funding injection to support other service improvements for ratepayers
- Empower reductions in greenhouse gas emissions
- Explore the opportunity to accrue carbon credits
Based on the findings in Queensland’s waste strategy, the average general waste bin in Queensland comprises more than 40% organic material that could be sent to composting facilities.
Using current waste levy rates, here is a generic example of the savings potential for Councils.
Read more about NuGrow’s work with Ipswich City Council on Queensland’s first dedicated FOGO initiative here.
While industry organisations face vastly different opportunities based on factors such as their size and sector, there remains significant scope in general terms for industry to explore actions such as introducing dedicated organics bins to enable diversion of organics from general waste, and introducing compostable plastics for high-use contexts such as events.
- Enable savings under the waste levy with a cost competitive recycler
- Support reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and opportunities under the Emission Reduction Fund
- Explore the ability to accrue carbon credits
Based on the findings in the 2016 Australian National Waste Report, Queensland has the lowest commercial and industrial (C&I) waste recovery rate nationally.
Using current waste levy rates, here is a generic example of the savings potential for industry organisations.